Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Old Friends......

I am very blessed to have old friends.  Now, I don't mean THEY are old, or I am (perish the thought!), you see..... I mean they have been with me, we have been together since we were kids, or get the fast track Old Friend status due to surviving a crisis.  I am sure there are advantages to living a life that you move around a lot. I, however, have lived in my town my entire life, with the exception of living in central Wisconsin for about one year. 
When you have old friends you have a level of familiarity that just doesn't happen overnight.  You "talk" about "things"...  You have no pressure to do anything you don't want to, because they understand, but at the same time would do anything to be sure they are taken care of and happy.  It is like planted a baby tree in your yard.  You watch the tree, water it, feed it, love it, strap it down in storms... eventually sit under it for shade from the hot sun.  Sometimes you may even decorate it for Christmas or the other holidays.  I feel like that tree becomes part of the family... part of the landscape of your life.  As are old friends.  Because those friends have families, they become an important part of your life too.  Your family grows... by choice.  My definition of family has always been "the more the merrier" so it was a pretty easy transition for me when I found my Birth Mom and my amazing brothers and sister and their kiddos and my wonderful Step Dad.  I am a part of many families. 
The word family has lots of definitions for me.  I don't believe the "Blood is Thicker than Water".  I believe love is impenetrable and you have the ability to love so much and so many with so much of yourself.  And I do. 
I experienced something unexpected while talking with one of my dear old friends, the oldest friend I have... We met when we were 12.  I love her and she has grown into a part of me.  We are a part of eachother.  We sat and talked in her truck on a very snowy night, in the parking lot of the hospital where her Dad was in intensive care.  I watched her and listened to her... just listened... offered an affirmation now and then... but mostly listened.  Also, I noticed her getting a bit older.  This is a compliment.  She is more beautiful than she was when 20.  I saw her face and how expressive it was and how much she was hurting and frustrating.  Her eyes grew dark as she described how she felt.  Then I saw her soften and her eyes brighten as she told me how she was at peace knowing her Dad would soon be painless and free.  All the while, I was looking at her knowing how lucky I was to be the one listening and sharing this with her.  You see, being old friends means sharing IT ALL... the good the bad...
I, recently, have shared the loss of several friends' parents. Some, I have even presided at their funerals.  I loved these people.  They helped me grow up.  They were, sort of, my parents too. 
We lost my girl friends Dad last night.  She texted me, then we tried to call eachother at the same time... and then finally speaking.  She talked, I listened and we will go through this, just like we have gone through other things - together.  And I am so thankful for that.

I am also thankful for the people who love me for me and nothing more.  Who stick by me through thick and thin and expect me to be nothing but me. Because, after all, that is all any of us can ever be.

These are the thoughts in my head this today...

xo

Julie



1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Hugs.
And the family I choose is often closer to me than those with ties of blood.
And very, very precious.
This post resonates strongly in my heart and head. Thank you.